The Commissioner can enact laws, known as Ordinances, ‘for the peace, order and good government of the Territory’. Our Ordinances cover different aspects of life in the Territory, including the judicial system, the allocation of public funds, tax, marriage and the environment. Any new British Antarctic Territory (BAT) laws are then set out in the BAT Gazette.
The Administration of Justice Ordinance 1990 states, in so far as local circumstances permit, the ‘law of England’ is to be applied in the British Antarctic Territory. However but we have a range of our own legislation where the law differs.
The BAT also has its own justice system, including a Supreme Court and the ability to summon other courts including the Magistrate’s Court, Summary Courts and the Coroner’s Court. The Commissioner appoints the Judges, Magistrates and Coroner.
Legislation made in the UK can be found on www.legislation.gov.uk.
British Antarctic Territory Ordinances can be found below.
- The Law Revision Ordinance 2016
- The Interpretation and General Provisions (Amendment) Ordinance No 2 of 2016
- The Interpretation and General Provisions (Amendment) Ordinance No 6 of 2016
- The Official Gazette (Publication) Order 2016
- The Attorney General Ordinance 2016
- The Interpretation and General Provisions Ordinance 1990
- The Commissioners for Oaths Ordinance 1990
- The Currency Ordinance 1990
- The Public Funds (Procedures) Ordinance 1990
- The Income Tax Ordinance 1990
- The Postal Services Ordinance 1990
- The Place-Names Ordinance 1990
- The Registration Ordinance 2016
- The Marriage Ordinance (No. 4 of 2016)
- The Existing Laws (Repeal) Ordinance 1990
Crime and justice
- The Administration of Justice Ordinance 1990
- The Summary Courts (Criminal Proceedings) Ordinance 1990
- The Crown Proceedings Ordinance 1990
- The Prisons Ordinance 1990
- The Misuse of Drugs Ordinance 1990
- The Police Powers Ordinance 1991
- The General Extradition Arrangements (Procedure) Ordinance 1997
Immigration and customs
- The Immigration Ordinance 1990
- The Imports and Exports (Control) Ordinance 1990
- The Customs Ordinance 1990